What to Know About Central AC (and Other AC Systems)
To understand the air conditioning basics, someone doesn’t have to be a licensed HVAC professional. All they need is a few moments of their time, and they can learn important information to help keep their system in good shape. They can also learn what AC system works best for their home and the advantages of alternative sources.
Common Types of Air Conditioners
Many people in Santa Maria, CA, have central AC systems. This means that cool air comes from a centralized source and is filtered to various parts of the home through ducts. There are many advantages to centralized AC systems, such as:
- They can last 15-20 years with appropriate maintenance.
- These units reduce humidity throughout the home. This reduces the possibility of mold growth and promotes good indoor air quality.
- Central AC units also add to homes’ resale values. They’re not as visible as other units and are efficient at cooling even the largest of homes.
Aside from centralized AC units, other types of air conditioners include:
- Ductless mini-splits: These units don’t rely on ductwork, reducing pollutants in the air. Because they don’t rely on ductwork, they’re usually pretty easy to install and more energy efficient, lowering energy bills. They also allow homeowners to set different temperatures for different parts of the house.
- Portable AC units: Many portable AC units come on wheels, allowing users to move them around the house easily. They also use less energy than many traditional AC units.
- Window AC units: These are ideal for mild or cooler climates. Installation is easy, and one can uninstall it within minutes when winter comes around.
Three Signs That an AC System Needs Repairs
Three signs that an AC unit needs professional attention include:
- High energy bills: Everyone should have a basic idea of how much their monthly energy bills cost. If one’s energy bill unexpectedly spikes, this could mean the AC is working “overtime” to cool the home.
- Sounds coming from the AC unit: The AC unit should have a quiet hum while it’s on. Any other noise could indicate problems with the motor blower, coils, or fan.
- The home doesn’t get cool: While many AC units can last more than ten years without problems, their internal components generally don’t last that long. A professional can assess one’s system and determine what is not working as expected.
What to Know About AC Maintenance
Ways for homeowners to maintain the AC system include:
- Changing the air filter at least once every three months
- Keeping the area around the AC system clear of clutter
- Promptly address any leaks or puddles around the AC system’s base by calling a professional
- Regularly clean dust and other debris away from the AC unit’s vents
- Schedule a cleaning of the unit’s ductwork every three to five years if it has ducts
Homeowners should also schedule AC maintenance visits with a professional at least once a year. A professional can run a diagnostic test, check for problems, and recommend a course of action for any issues.
About Jerry’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning
Jerry’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning is a family-owned and operated company serving Santa Maria, CA, and the surrounding areas since 1993. They offer reasonable rates, same-day service, and financing options. Call them today for air conditioning services in Santa Maria, CA.