Slab Leak Detection & Repair
Slab leak detection and repair can be tricky and excessively destructive if attempted without proper knowledge and tools. Do-it-Yourselfers can tackle some minor plumbing issues successfully, but slab leak detection and repair should always be done by trained professionals. Non-destructive leak detection requires electronic amplification equipment and electromagnetic pipeline locators, this will allow leaks to be found with minimal property disruption.
If you have any of these symptoms you may have a slab leak:
- Cracks in your floors or walls
- Moisture or mildew under carpeting
- Running water sounds when nothing is turned on
Higher than normal water bills can indicate a water leak. First run a meter test to determine water loss. Check meter numbers, turn off valves to toilets and do not use any water for a 30 minute period, then check the numbers again. If there is still water consumption contact a professional plumber and ask for a non-invasive slab leak detection.
If a slab leak has been determined and located you will want to go over these possible slab leak repair options with your plumber:
- Spot Repair – if property or plumbing is newer and location is clear, the slab can be opened at point of leak and the pipe repaired.
- Pipe Coat – if there are a number of smaller leaks an in-pipe epoxy coating can be applied to the inside of the pipes to seal leaks.
Full plumbing line replacements and the reconstruction that is necessary afterward is extremely expensive. Hence, doing a spot repair or epoxy coating is the most economical and least disruptive solution.
Jerry’s Plumbing and Heating are here to help, from detection through repair our specialized service technicians will provide the best solutions for your slab leak requirements.