Traditional Water Heaters vs Tankless Water Heaters
When it comes time to replace your water heater, you will have some decisions to make. The first thing to decide is if you’re going to consider a tankless water heater as opposed to the traditional water heater. Tank water heaters store and heat water at all times, incurring higher operating costs, whereas tankless water heaters only heat water as needed. Both types have their strengths and weaknesses.
Tankless Water Heaters
- Doesn’t take up a lot of space: Tankless water heaters come in different sizes according to your particular needs, but all of them are smaller than traditional water heaters. They can be installed almost anywhere, including small crawl spaces, attics, and even on an outside wall.
- Longer lasting: They have double the lifespan than traditional water heaters!
- On-demand hot water: This is the number one reason many people choose tankless water heaters. Never run out of hot water!
- More energy efficient: Up to 40% more energy efficient, saving money and time.
- Never worry about flooding due to a broken tank.
- High upfront cost: Tankless water heaters come with a higher price tag, up to three times more than traditional tank models.
- Retrofitting adds to upfront cost: Replacing a traditional water heater with a tankless system is more complicated, increasing the installation cost.
- Electricity bills: Electric tankless water heaters may require an upgrade to your electric circuit to suit the heaters needs and may account for a larger bill.
Traditional Tank Water Heaters
- Lower initial cost: Traditional water heaters are less expensive than tankless water heaters.
- Easy to replace: Tank water heaters are easy to purchase and easy to install.
- Bigger size, less installation flexibility: Their larger size limits where they can be installed.
- Shorter lifespan: Expect to replace your traditional water tank every eight to twelve years.
- Run out of hot water: Once all the water stored in the tank has been used, it takes a while for the tank to heat, fill, and store water. And no one likes a cold shower!
- Higher utility bills: Because they are less efficient than tankless water heaters, your utility bills will be higher.
Jerry's Plumbing, Heating, & Air Conditioning is your source for all your hot water needs! We provide new installation, replacement and repair of water heaters. We can help recommend the type of water heater that will best fit your lifestyle, budget, and water usage on a monthly basis. Call (800) 697-8875 to schedule your appointment today!